Monday 16 March 2009

Real time searching with Twitter and Google

A few days ago I came across a tweet on real time searching and thought I'd have a look.

After installing a greasemonkey script in Firefox I can now do realtime searches in twitter alongside my regular Google results.

This for me opens up a new avenue of usefulness created by twitter's memory banks as I will regularly use Google and not Twitter search.

What it highly evident is that for searches about news related items I will receive information much quicker than it's being reported by news based agency's with standard media (With this I include web sites). Duh that's obvious you say, but I'm amazed at the time lag.

Most of the news agencies have twitter breaking news accounts "bbcbreaking" for example.
If I look at their most recent post on twitter I see a news story about the Madagasgan army from 3 hours ago. If I check their website I see it was uploaded only 10 mins ago.

Tweets from a non news agency would be even quicker as demonstrated by the recent shooting in Germany last week.


It's a bit like watching the football in the pub with one TV on terrestrial and the other on Sky.
On hearing the crowd cheer at the other end of the room you instantly look over and see the scoreline then return to your TV to watch the action unfold.
Now if only if I could find a beer plugin for firefox I'd be quite content.

Full details and how to install this great piece of work can be found at mt-hacks

No comments:

Post a Comment